I’m still on the healthy eating bandwagon and have loved experimenting in the kitchen with healthy snacks full of sweet summer fruit, but low in the bad stuff. I had a few mangoes hanging around the house that were slowly getting soft, and I wanted to make the most of the summer-y goodness and put together a healthy snack at the same time.
- 1/4 cup of butter, melted
- 3/4 cup of Splenda or Stevia (or sugar)
- 2 mangoes (if mangoes aren’t in season you can use 2 cups of frozen mango pieces instead)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups of wholemeal flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius and prepare your muffin casings. Peel the mangoes and dice into pieces. Process 2/3 of the diced mango in a food processor to make a puree.
- Mix together the melted butter and sugar. Add the pureed mango, egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Add in the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and combine.
- Once combined, add the remaining 1/3 of the mango pieces and mix together.
- Fill the muffin cups with batter. For extra something special, I like to add one extra dice on top of the muffin for decoration.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool, then devour!